Monday, May 5, 2008

What Is It?


I've been on vacation in the Caribbean, so I haven't posted for a while. It was a nice break, but I did miss my hobby. Vacations are great, but it sure does give a person a refreshed appreciation for the blessings of the day by days of life. Especially when we visit remote areas of our world, where people truly struggle in their day by days.
I started a new picture, and in doing so I was thinking back to the first one I had attempted back in 97. It was Tom's Canadian Goose in the August 1997 issue of Creative Woodworks & Crafts. At the time I had been trying my hand at Intarsia, which is a configuration of different species of wood that colaborates to create a desired picture. Anyways, the joints between the pieces should be reasonably tight, and it takes some time to perfect the ability to do so. However, in lathart the gaps beween the pieces can make a nice highlighted line, so when I tried my hand at it for the first time (using my newly developed intarsia skills) It didn't work. When I tried to layout the pieces to the picture everything seemed to be off, and I could'nt adjust it at all because the joints were too tight, and in my frustration, I just threw the whole thing away. Another thing that displeased me, was that when I looked at it I could'nt see anything pleasing about it; It just looked like a pile of cut up wood. As a matter of fact, my wife doesn't even like to look at my pictures until I've painted them. You see, painting is the final defining point, along with the appropriate gaps between the pieces, and some surprizingly unintentional things. The reason I say "What Is It", is because it is hard to see at first. The more I do lathart, the more I see in lathart, and I am growing to see the pictures in my mind now, so the process is becoming more enjoyable to me. So don't give up if you get frustrated along the way, because the final result is well worth it. By the way, I sold one of my horse pictures for nice profit, and that is some nice incentive also.


Chris

2 comments:

T said...

Hi Chris, welcome back.

One of the problems of magazine articles is incomplete instructions. In my patterns, I supplied easy instructions for fitting the pieces and included a layout pattern as well as a cutout pattern.

As soon as a piece comes off the saw, put it on the payout pattern and make sure it is within the lines.

And yes, I don't know if you read it or just figured it out for yourself, but leaving gaps between the sections is a big part of the ART of lathart.

Good to hear about your sale.

T

Chris said...

You are right about the magazine article. It wasn't until I had done a kit that I had fully gotten the idea of the way the pieces should fit. Unfortunately fretwork and intarsia get most of the exposure in these magazines, and therefore compels more interest via the amount of instruction. This is one of the things that is so exciting about lathart to me; not that many people are doing it, and I think that it's just lack of exposure and instruction. I have a feeling that if we keep this up, it will eventually take off.

Chris